It all began in 1893
Cottesloe RUFC was originally formed in 1893 and were known as ‘The Pirates’, a name now proudly adopted by our Juniors club. Cottesloe is the only original club still in existence in WA and is older than the WARU (or RugbyWA as it’s now known).
Cottesloe moved to our beautiful home at Harvey Field in 1930, taking on the Two Blue strip and becoming known as the Seagulls, or simply ‘the Gulls’, as clearly illustrated in our club logo. Cottesloe have a strong and distinguished history with continual growth, starting from a single team to now fielding 6 Men’s, a Colts and Women’s side, along with an established Juniors club.
The Gulls have had a long and successful history since our formation with Premiership grade wins throughout the 80s, in 92, 2001 and 2009. More recently saw premiership titles taken home by the Women’s team ‘affectionately known as the SheGulls’ and the 5th Grade ‘All Stars’ in 2013, a great anniversary gift for the Gulls family.
Cottesloe has long been a breeding ground for Australia’s finest rugby players with State, Super Rugby and International representatives from both Cottesloe men’s and women’s teams in 15s and 7s Rugby throughout the years. Most recently Dane Haylett-Petty (Australia Wallabies, Western Force), Ollie Hoskins, Ryan Louwrens, and Junior Rasolea (2016 Western Force), Rebecca Clough (Australia Walleroos), Natasha Haines (Australia Walleroos and International 7s). Cottesloe are also lucky to have distinguished international representatives in our coaching squad with Richard Brown (Ex Australia Wallaby) and Patrick Dellit (Western Force) on board this season.
Cottesloe was there first and will be the last to go. Tradition and family, such as that we have established, never dies. The future is ours to write.
Read Our Story Here
The Meaning Behind Our Club Awards